Bayern hail Kane as their ‘best transfer ever’ following 21st German Cup victory

Bayern hail Kane as their ‘best transfer ever’ following 21st German Cup victory

BERLIN, May 24 — Bayern Munich powerbroker Uli Hoeness has hailed Harry Kane as the “best transfer we’ve ever made” after the England captain’s hat-trick secured a 3-0 win over Stuttgart in the German Cup final in Berlin yesterday.

World
World

BERLIN, May 24 — Bayern Munich powerbroker Uli Hoeness has hailed Harry Kane as the “best transfer we’ve ever made” after the England captain’s hat-trick secured a 3-0 win over Stuttgart in the German Cup final in Berlin yesterday.

The treble took Kane’s season tally to an impressive 61 goals across all competitions, while also ending Bayern’s six-year wait for the trophy.

The victory completed a 14th domestic league-and-cup double for the Bavarian giants and marked their 21st German Cup triumph.

Hoeness, a former Bayern striker and long-time president who helped shape the club into a European powerhouse, made his comments to German television, also confirming Kane would remain at the club next season despite reported interest from Barcelona.

“Bayern are a buying club, not a selling club,” he said, adding that Barcelona “don’t have the money anyway.”

Kane welcomed the praise, saying: “To hear those kinds of words at a club like this, where so many great players have played, is special.”

“Before the final, I felt it was my responsibility to help get us over the line. I knew I would get chances, and I did again today. Scoring a hat-trick in a final is something I’ll remember forever.”

The England captain’s opening goal was created by Michael Olise, who now has 30 assists in all competitions this season, while Luis Diaz helped set up the second. Kane completed his hat-trick with a stoppage-time penalty.

The win further underlined Bayern’s dominance in German football, with no other club having achieved the domestic double more than once.

It also marked the third time this season Stuttgart had been beaten by Bayern, after defeats in the Super Cup and Bundesliga.

Stuttgart forward Deniz Undav said: “We played an outstanding season and can be proud. There are worse things than losing to Bayern.”

Sporting director Fabian Wohlgemuth added: “In the end, it was Harry Kane three times — business as usual.”

Bayern had already defeated Stuttgart three times this season with a combined score of 11-3, though Stuttgart edged a competitive first half.

Kane’s only first-half chance came in the 21st minute when he headed over from a cross.

Bayern eventually broke through early in the second half when Olise delivered a precise cross for Kane to head home, extending his record of scoring in every cup match this season.

Stuttgart missed several chances before Kane struck again in the 80th minute, finishing from a Luis Diaz assist, before sealing his hat-trick with a composed stoppage-time penalty after Angelo Stiller handled in the box. — AFP

Bayern Munich’s English forward #09 Harry Kane and his teammates celebrate with the trophy in front of their supporters after the German Cup (DFB-Pokal) final between FC Bayern Munich and VfB Stuttgart at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin on May 23, 2026. — AFP pic

Latest

May 24, 2026
World
World
California chemical storage tank is at risk of explosion as temperatures rise, with residents advised to evacuate.

LOS ANGELES, May 24 — Firefighters warned on Friday that a tank of toxic chemicals in California is continuing to heat up, raising concerns of a potential large-scale explosion that has already led to the evacuation of tens of thousands of residents.

May 24, 2026
Local
Local
No Current Restrictions on Non-Islamic Houses of Worship in Commercial Spaces, Confirms Selangor Exco

SHAH ALAM — The Selangor state government has not implemented or enforced any planning guidelines that ban non-Islamic houses of worship from being established in commercial zones, clarified State Executive Councillor for Investment, Trade and Mobility Ng Sze Han.

May 23, 2026
World
World
Hundreds demonstrate in Taipei against parliamentary defense spending cuts

TAIPEI, May 23 — Hundreds gathered in central Taipei on Saturday to back the government's proposed defense budget increase, following the opposition-controlled parliament's decision to approve only two-thirds of the $40 billion requested by President Lai Ching-te.