Haj pilgrimage commences in Mecca amid rising Middle East tensions and concerns over extreme heat.

Haj pilgrimage commences in Mecca amid rising Middle East tensions and concerns over extreme heat.

MECCA, May 22 — More than one million Muslims are converging on Mecca for the haj pilgrimage, as regional tensions in the Middle East and a fragile ceasefire cast a shadow over the event.

World
World

MECCA, May 22 — More than one million Muslims are converging on Mecca for the haj pilgrimage, as regional tensions in the Middle East and a fragile ceasefire cast a shadow over the event.

This year’s pilgrimage, which includes worshippers from across the Islamic world including Iran, comes after recent waves of Iranian attacks on targets in Saudi Arabia and neighbouring Gulf states.

Saudi authorities are working to keep political tensions away from the spiritual focus of the pilgrimage, which attracts Muslims from around the world.

Among the pilgrims, Fatima, a 36-year-old German housewife travelling with her family, said there was “no second thought” about coming to Mecca.

“We know we are at the safest place in the world,” she told AFP.

The haj, one of Islam’s five pillars, is required once in a lifetime for those who are able. Officials said more than 1.2 million pilgrims had arrived in Saudi Arabia ahead of the multi-day rites beginning Monday.

No flags, no chanting

Tensions between Riyadh and Tehran have at times spilled into the haj, with past incidents involving unrest among Iranian pilgrims and disputes over political expressions during the pilgrimage.

Saudi state media this week reiterated a warning from the interior ministry that chanting or displaying political and sectarian flags is strictly prohibited during the haj.

The most serious dispute in recent years occurred in 2015, when a stampede killed 2,300 pilgrims, including 464 Iranians, leading to a diplomatic fallout between the two countries.

Relations were later severed in 2016 after attacks on Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran, following Riyadh’s execution of Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr. No Iranian pilgrims were allowed that year due to failed arrangements between both sides.

Experts say authorities are determined to prevent any disruptions to this year’s pilgrimage, despite ongoing regional tensions.

Saudi Arabia and Iran restored diplomatic ties in a China-brokered agreement in 2023, easing tensions and reopening embassies.

However, the détente was shaken after US and Israeli strikes on Iran earlier this year triggered retaliation across the Gulf, including attacks on energy and transport infrastructure.

Despite this, Iranian pilgrims began arriving in Saudi Arabia in April, with tens of thousands expected to take part in the haj.

Blazing sun

Alongside geopolitical tensions, pilgrims also face extreme heat, with temperatures forecast to exceed 40°C throughout the week.

Last year, more than 1,300 people died during the pilgrimage amid temperatures exceeding 50°C, prompting Saudi authorities to introduce additional heat mitigation measures, including expanded shaded areas and increased medical deployment.

More than 50,000 healthcare workers and 3,000 ambulances have been mobilised to support pilgrims, according to the Saudi health ministry.

Despite the heat and uncertainty, many pilgrims described the experience as deeply emotional.

“Haj has been the dream of a lifetime for me,” said Ahmed Abo Seta, 47. “And it is finally coming true.” — AFP

Muslim pilgrims perform the Umrah pilgrimage around the Kaaba, Islam’s holiest shrine, at the Grand Mosque complex in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, on May 20. — AFP pic

Latest

May 22, 2026
World
World
Haj pilgrimage commences in Mecca amid rising Middle East tensions and concerns over extreme heat.

MECCA, May 22 — More than one million Muslims are converging on Mecca for the haj pilgrimage, as regional tensions in the Middle East and a fragile ceasefire cast a shadow over the event.

May 22, 2026
Food
Food
A court has sentenced a 21-year-old man to 10 years in prison and six strokes of the cane for raping his underage girlfriend at an apartment in Kuching.

KUCHING — A 21-year-old phone salesman, Bong Chou Swee, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison and six strokes of the cane by the Sessions Court after pleading guilty to raping his 15-year-old girlfriend.

May 21, 2026
World
World
Three Thai nationals arrested in Ecuador over alleged smuggling of rare Galápagos iguanas

QUITO, May 21 — Ecuadorian police have arrested three Thai nationals suspected of trafficking 12 rare iguanas, according to the energy and environment ministry yesterday.